back to top

A Nutella Jar Caused A Huge House Fire That Killed A Family’s Dog

The jar had been used to collect a young girl’s loom bands, the London fire brigade said.

Posted on

Sunlight shining through a jar of Nutella caused a devastating house fire in southwest London and killed a family's pet dog

The blaze, in Twickenham, started on Sunday after the glass jar, which was placed on a windowsill, refracted low sunlight and caused a set of blinds to catch fire, the London fire brigade said.
London Fire Brigade

The blaze, in Twickenham, started on Sunday after the glass jar, which was placed on a windowsill, refracted low sunlight and caused a set of blinds to catch fire, the London fire brigade said.

The resulting fire destroyed a first-floor bedroom and damaged the roof of the property, which lies on Fielding Avenue.

Electrical supervisor Declan Murphy, who lived in the house, and his family were not home at the time of the fire, but their pet dog, a Jack Russell called Chili, was trapped in the property and died of smoke inhalation.Murphy told Get West London: "We're all heartbroken at Chili's death and we've been told it will be up to a year before the house is ready for us to move back into."I want to ensure other people are aware of the dangers and know to keep glass items away from windows and out of direct sunlight so they don't have to go through anything like this."
London Fire Brigade

Electrical supervisor Declan Murphy, who lived in the house, and his family were not home at the time of the fire, but their pet dog, a Jack Russell called Chili, was trapped in the property and died of smoke inhalation.

Murphy told Get West London: "We're all heartbroken at Chili's death and we've been told it will be up to a year before the house is ready for us to move back into.

"I want to ensure other people are aware of the dangers and know to keep glass items away from windows and out of direct sunlight so they don't have to go through anything like this."

Murphy had been out celebrating the anniversary of his engagement with his wife and two children, aged 7 and 3.

Commenting on the fire, Charlie Pugsley, from the brigade's fire investigation unit, said: “It sounds far-fetched that a jar containing a few rubber bands caused a severe house fire but that’s exactly what happened.“It’s worth spending five minutes checking that your window ledges are clear of any glass or crystal that might lead to a potentially life-changing blaze.”
London Fire Brigade

Commenting on the fire, Charlie Pugsley, from the brigade's fire investigation unit, said: “It sounds far-fetched that a jar containing a few rubber bands caused a severe house fire but that’s exactly what happened.

“It’s worth spending five minutes checking that your window ledges are clear of any glass or crystal that might lead to a potentially life-changing blaze.”

The incident came after a fire broke out at the Mayfair home of lingerie tycoon Michelle Mone.

OMG sun coming through the window,bean bag next to mirror table...bean bag has just gone on fire.Incredible how a house fire can start

Michelle Mone OBE@MichelleMoneFollow

OMG sun coming through the window,bean bag next to mirror table...bean bag has just gone on fire.Incredible how a house fire can start

9:59 AM - 18 Feb 15ReplyRetweetFavorite

The blaze was apparently caused by a mirror table. The fire brigade did not attend the incident and said Mone put the fire out herself.

The London fire brigade said it has witnessed 125 fires caused by the sun's rays over the last five years, including five so far this winter.

Richard James is the News Director for BuzzFeed Australia and is based in Sydney.

Contact Richard James at richard.james@buzzfeed.com.

Got a confidential tip? Submit it here.