1. “Mute” is a 3-minute video by Ram Subramanian of Handloom Picture Company in India.
2. It depicts a seemingly mute man complaining passionately about some of India’s most talked-about issues.
Specifically, he complains about potholes on roads, the Indian Supreme Court’s ruling against homosexuality, and the price of vegetables. He also touches on terrorism and gender-related violence.
3. By the end of the video, he is visibly riled up.
4. The video ends in a surprising and powerful way, and then, for a brief moment, the screen flashes this message:
5. Watch the full video here:
Glossary of terms:
-Section 377 in the IPC (Indian Penal Code): This is a constitution law forbidding sodomy, which the Supreme Court upheld last month, causing a huge step back for India’s LGBT movement.
7. Find more of Ram Subramanian’s work here.
- 2017 Oscar nominations for Best Picture include: "La La Land," "Moonlight," "Arrival," and "Hidden Figures" 🎥 🎬
- White House Press Secretary Sean Spicer repeated claims that the inauguration was the most watched ever. But the numbers (still) don't make sense.
- Britain's Supreme Court has ruled that Prime Minister Theresa May needs to consult parliament before triggering Brexit.
- "The Great Liberation Of France" is a private chat room that Trump Supporters are using to manipulate French voters 💬👀