1. You don’t need to have your career figured out.
Sure, you should probz have a job, but don’t panic if you don’t have a five-year-plan. Walt Disney spent his twenties so poor that he once ate dog food, and J.K. Rowling didn’t publish Harry Potter until she was 32. You’ll be OK.
2. You don’t need to have fallen in love.
Just because everyone on your timeline is engaged or having babies doesn’t mean you have to. Swipe left all you want.
3. You don’t have to find “the one” or even be looking for them.
If you have, cool! If you haven’t, cool!
4. You don’t need to be living where you want to live for the rest of your life.
Feel stuck in a town you hate? Good thing you can work hard enough that you can leave it.
5. You don’t need to already have a favourite movie or book or song.
Only an idiot will have read and watched and heard everything they’ll ever read and watch and hear in the first quarter of their life.
6. You don’t need to be doing the things your parents want you to.
It’s cool if yours and your parents’ ambitions for you match up. It’s also cool if they don’t.
7. You don’t have to know who your role model is.
Or even have one.
8. You don’t have to travel the world.
The “Eat, Pray, Love” lifestyle requires a looot more $$$ saved up than most people have at 23 and that’s cool.
9. You don’t need to have a boss you love.
But you do need to learn to work with people who suck, despite the fact that they suck.
10. Or a job you love.
Harrison Ford used to be a carpenter and Zach Galifianakis used to be a busboy at a strip club. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
11. Or even a home you love.
If Harry Potter can save the world while living in a closet under a staircase, you can get by. And I bet your roommates, however horrid they are, are better than 7 men you just met for the first time, one of whom is literally named Grumpy.
12. You don’t already have to have figured out your favourite sex things.
You probably haven’t done them yet!
13. Or who you want to do them with.
You gotta bang a lot of frogs before you’ll know whether you want to bang a prince.
14. You don’t have to decide how you feel about god.
15. Or about there being one.
16. It’s OK if you don’t see the world the way all your best friends do.
17. You don’t even need to have met your best friends yet.
18. You don’t have to go to clubs and get black-out drunk on the weekends.
Everyone has more fun on Instagram than they do IRL. Besides, nobody at any club is as happy as you are in bed with your favourite show and some take-out.
19. You don’t have to have expensive brunches on Sunday afternoons.
Sleep > the best brunch in the world.
20. You don’t have to look like you walked off a Pinterest board.
No matter how hot you are, you’ll look back on this era in 10 years and think you looked ridiculous. So, hey! Enjoy it!