2. The series, slated to be released in February, will be written by G. Willow Wilson, an author, comic book writer, and convert to Islam.
Wilson confirmed the news on her website: “The rumors are true… I’m writing the new Ms. Marvel series for Marvel Comics! Incredibly excited about this project, and especially psyched to be working with artist Adrian Alphona, whose style is really something to see. First issue launches in February.”
3. In the series, Kamala Khan will grow up idolizing superhero Carol Danvers and, when Danvers starts going by Captain Marvel, Kamala will take on her abandoned moniker: Ms. Marvel.
“Captain Marvel represents an ideal that Kamala pines for. She’s strong, beautiful and doesn’t have any of the baggage of being Pakistani and ‘different,’” Wilson told the New York Times.
4. Wilson: “It was really important to me to portray Kamala as someone who is struggling with her faith.”
“Her brother is extremely conservative,” said Sana Amanat, an editor at Marvel. “Her mom is paranoid that she’s going to touch a boy and get pregnant. Her father wants her to concentrate on her studies and become a doctor… I do expect some negativity. Not only from people who are anti-Muslim, but people who are Muslim and might want the character portrayed in a particular light.”
6. “Anytime you do something like this, it is a bit of a risk,” said author Wilson. “You’re trying to bring the audience on board and they are used to seeing something else in the pages of a comic book.”
Read the full NYTimes write-up here.
- The Pentagon will now be able to decide how many of its troops are deployed in the war against ISIS and when they are sent there.
- Texas is suing the federal government for blocking a huge shipment of illegal execution drugs from entering the state 💉
- McDonald's spends big bucks rolling out "premium" menu items like leafy wraps, but data shows its customers just want cheap deals 🍔🍟
- An extraordinary new study claims humans roamed America 130,000 years ago, but fossil experts say don't believe the hype 🤔