Before I Die I Want To is a project founded by Brooklyn-based photographer Nicole Kenney.
Since 2008, she has asked strangers around the United States and India one simple question...
And she has them handwrite their responses on the Polaroid pictures she takes of them.
The project was inspired by the "death" of Polaroid photography, and it aimed to motivate the photos' subjects to achieve their goals. Other similar projects have been successfully launched since.
Below are a few poignant examples.
1. "Before I die I want to see my photos in the Human Rights Protocol."
2. "Before I die I want to love someone passionately."
3. "Before I die, I want to witness the 'United States of Africa.'"
4. "Before I die, I want to thank my mother and father."
5. "I want to lead India in progress."
6. "Before I die I want to make my girlfriend my 'wife.'"
7. "Before I die I want to have many stories to tell on my deathbed."
8. "Before I die I want to make films to highlight sufferings. Want to save humanity through cinema."
9. "Before I die I'd love to meet President Obama."
10. "Before I die I want to resolve my inability to have intimate relationships."
11. "Before I die I want to open up a mosque and spread Islam."
12. "Before I die I want to see more sunrises."
13. "Before I die, I want to go up into every lighthouse in the country."
14. "Before I die I want to kiss my wife more."
15. "I want world peace, happiness, and justice for Tibet from China. I pray for all humans' peace and happiness."
16. "Before I die I would like to have love again. I want to see my wife look at me with fulfilment in her eyes."
17. "Before I die I want to be a millionaire."
18. "Before I die, I want to spend private time with my partner who's been in prison for five years."
19. "I've been burning dead bodies for years. This is my religion. I'll always do this. I'm happy."
20. "I will recite god's name before I die."