1. Use solid chocolate, NOT cocoa powder.
Because you want it to look like this:
Instead of this:
2. The chocolate should be dark chocolate.
3. Use about 2 oz. chocolate for every cup of milk.
4. Use whole milk.
5. Use any sweetener you like, but not too much of it.
6. Heat up the milk and sugar first, then add the chocolate.
You'll add the chocolate and any other ingredients when the milk starts to bubble.
7. You can use cornstarch to make the hot chocolate extra silky-smooth (optional).
8. Always add a pinch of salt.
9. Don't be afraid to take it to the NEXT LEVEL.
If you're bored, add exciting spices.
If you're sleepy, add caffeine.
If you want to be sleepy, add booze.
10. Last but NOT least: Never forget marshmallows.
They could be DIY 'mallows...
Or giant 'mallows...
Or adorable rainbow mini 'mallows.
Hot Chocolate for Awesome People
8 oz. (two 4-oz. bars) dark chocolate
4 cups whole milk
1 Tbsp. brown sugar (or other sweetener) + more if you want
2 tsp. cornstarch
booze of your choice
1 Tbsp. instant espresso powder
ground spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, chile powder, etc.)
1. Chop chocolate into small pieces. The smaller they are, the faster and more smoothly they will melt.
2. Optional: If using cornstarch, whisk with ½ cup milk and set aside.
3. Heat milk, sugar, and salt in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir occasionally.
4. When milk begins to bubble around the edges, stir in chocolate and whisk until smooth.
5. Add cornstarch mixture and any other add-ins. Whisk until smooth and steaming hot.
5. Pour into cups and top with all the marshmallows you can cram in there.