2. Maggie Smith Kühn, 29, is an Atlanta-based party portrait artist who creates original watercolors of event guests.
Her recent post on Reddit — where she shared photos of a Kentucky Derby party she worked this spring — made the front page.
5. Smith Kühn, who said she does events 40-50 weekends a year, has been painting party guests for nearly 12 years.
“I used to bring my sketchbook to parties in high school and draw people, mostly because I was shy in big groups but very comfortable with one-on-one conversations,” she said. “It helped me get to know people, honed my portrait skills, and made me a much quicker painter.”
She got her first paying gig in 2009 when she painted the first dance at a friend’s wedding.
6. Smith Kühn said each portrait takes 5-10 minutes “depending on how crazy the person’s outfit is!”
“I can paint 10-12 portraits per hour, max, when I do wedding portraits for guests, so I’ve done as many as 72 portraits in a night before!” she said.
7. She also loves to paint couples during their first dance, or she’ll paint them later (based on a photograph) at home in her studio.
“Paintings can also do what photography cannot,” she said, “so sometimes people send me photos where they aren’t happy and they want them re-imagined, or they want family members/pets added in.”
- Four people were arrested after Trump supporters and protesters clashed during a "Make America Great Again" rally in California.
- The deadly Westminster attack that left four people dead Wednesday began and was over with in 82 seconds, police said Saturday.
- People in Belarus took to the streets and opposed a "social parasites" tax on people who have been unemployed for six months.
- Heads up, Harry Potter fans. You can now get Butterbeer ice cream at your grocery store 🍦✨