1. 1. Make the filling.
Okay, here’s the SECRET (in the very first step!): Buy or make very concentrated Gelatinous stock. This means the high quality stock has been reduced down to half on slow simmer and allowed to cool completely. Here’s a good recipe to try at home. Chop up the gele stock and mix in with your favorite dumpling filling (fatty ground pork, chives, garlic, and ginger).
2. 2. Make the dough and roll.
Flour + Just Boiled Water. In the food processor and bam!.
3. 3. Flatten your balls by hand.
The picture says it all..
4. 4. Roll, rotate, roll, rotate, roll. You get the point.
Always start your rolling pin in the center of the wrapper and roll towards the edges, putting more pressure on the outer parts of the circle. You should end up with a circular wrapper that is thicker in the middle and close to paper thin on the outer edge.
5. 5. Fill ‘em!
Use chopsticks for more authentic soup dumplings.
6. 6. Fold, rotate, fold, rotate, fold. Yep.
Stare at this for 5 minutes and get to it. Practice makes perfect!
7. 7. Seal it.
As you close in the folds, make sure you seal the top nice and tight. You don’t want the juices leaking out before you take your first bite.
8. 8. Prepare the steamer.
Water, check. Parchment paper with vent holes, check. Dumplings, check. Lid, check.
9. 9. Steam.
Steam for 10 minutes or until dumpling skins look somewhat translucent.
10. 10. Eat me.
Fill soup spoon with a little black vinegar and thinly sliced ginger. Then top with the soup dumpling. Your gele stock has now transformed into the best part of soup dumplings! Enjoy.
Now you know the most important steps. Follow a detailed recipe like this one for the ingredients. You didn’t think I’d give you my own secret recipe, did you?
- Actor Gene Wilder, who starred in classics like "Willy Wonka" and "Blazing Saddles," has died at 83.
- Some of Europe's most vulnerable children are seeking refuge in the UK only to disappear from care and possibly fall into the clutches of people-traffickers.
- Apple will unveil the newest iPhones on September 7. Expect a new dual-camera system and NO headphone jack 📱