1. Listen to a riveting audiobook while you exercise, and tell yourself you can only listen WHILE exercising.
You’ll want to keep going just to find out what happens next.
6. For the first month, make a schedule and stick to it.
The first month is crucial to sticking with it because it’s the hardest. So clear your schedule and don’t flake out on yourself. Once you start to build strength and endurance, you’ll see results. That will be enough motivation to keep going.
7. Start exercising by running for just one minute. Add another minute each day.
So you’re an absolute beginner. With this method, you’ll be running for a full 30 minutes by the end of the month.
9. Employ an activity monitor to help you challenge yourself.
The Nike Fuelband and the FitBit can run upwards of $100, but they can be well worth it if they actually motivate you to exercise. Each day, you’ll want to challenge yourself to reach your set goal. As an added bonus, the FitBit also monitors your sleep patterns.
10. Pick a television drinking game, but instead of drinking, get up and do 10 push-ups or 20 lunges.
Like, every time Olivia Pope’s eyes well up with tears on Scandal.
11. Make your playlists as long as you plan to exercise to keep you from constantly glancing at the timer.
The less you think about how much time is left, the more likely it will just fly by.
12. If you hate most top 40, there ARE indie workout playlists.
Workout music can be tough if you have even slightly discerning music tastes.
Try Indiesouprunner for downloadable playlists that feature danceable indie songs you won’t hear in a spin class. Or swap workout playlists with a friend.
13. Always keep a gym bag in your car or at work, even if you weren’t planning to work out.
A good gym bag should include a workout outfit, appropriate shoes, headphones, backup MP3 player, a bottle of water, deodorant, and face wipes. Also possibly donuts. Definitely donuts.
15. Add frozen fruit to your water bottle.
It’ll keep it cold and add a little flavor.
16. About to go running but worried it might rain?
Don’t let that stop you! At least your smartphone will be protected with a coat of plastic wrap. The touchscreen functionality will still work.
19. Try a workout video from the ’80s or ’90s.
Many of them, like this Alyssa Milano gem, are available on YouTube and feature sweet retro dance moves and really good music. Another one of my favorites is the quintessentially ’90s Cindy Crawford workout. The music selection is superb.
- President Trump announced a new office for victims of "immigration crime" and honored the widow of a Navy SEAL in his first big speech.
- Authorities said voice-masking technology called "spoofing" was used to call in bomb threats to Jewish centers and schools around the US.
- Twitter will start relying on algorithms to identify and restrict accounts for engaging in "abusive behavior" today.
- Uber's CEO said he's "seeking leadership help" after dash-cam footage was published of him aggressively arguing with a company driver 😳