1. Plant lemongrass as a natural way to keep mosquitoes away.
Buy a mature plant from an Asian market or grocery store. When you get it home, trim the tops of the plant and remove any dead parts. Plant it in a clear jar of water and place on a sunny windowsill. Within a few weeks, it will develop roots and can be transplanted to your garden.
5. Or make some mirrored lawn ornaments by spraying different-sized orbs with looking-glass spray paint.
You can actually buy the orbs here, or try DIYing your own.
9. Make your own rock-climbing wall.
See how she did this here using wall grips purchased from eBay.
20. Placemats + fabric waterproofing spray = cheap and easy outdoor throw pillows.
Get the full directions here.
29. Create a little privacy with a plant wall made from old rain gutters.
34. Repurpose your tree stumps.
Turn one into a table or a planter, or just cover it in moss and flowers to make it look pretty.
36. Did a tree fall down? Use it as a a bike stand.
37. Have a backyard drive-in party for the kids with cardboard boxes.
Get the instructions on how to make a DIY backyard movie screen here.
40. Set up pool noodles for a game of kickball croquet.
Hula-hoops work too. Get the directions here.
If you’re still daydreaming about backyard fun, check out this list of 32 Outrageously Fun Things You’ll Want In Your Backyard This Summer.
- Fake news fools most Americans who read it—and Facebook is a major source, a BuzzFeed News survey has found 📰❌
- More than 90 people have died in Indonesia's earthquake, officials say. Thousands of rescuers are being deployed to the hit area.
- A refrigerator is being eyed as the possible origin of the fire at an Oakland warehouse party that killed 36 people, a law enforcement official said.
- An adorable 3-year-old boy proudly covered his kitchen with carrots in the greatest carrot heist of all time 😂👏