1. Open a stubborn jar using rubber bands.
Place one rubber band around the lid, and another around the jar. With one hand, grip the jar where the rubber band encircles it; use the other hand to twist off the lid. The rubber bands provide friction, so your hands won’t slip off the jar or lid.
12. Use a safety pin and a string to zip up the back of a dress.
1) Tie one end of a ribbon/string through the circular end of the safety pin, tying a knot to secure it in place.
2) Hook the safety pin through the hole in your zipper.
3) Use the string to pull the zipper up.
In the photo: there’s a product that does this, but you could easily make your own.
14. Use baking soda and vinegar to unclog a drain.
1) Pour 3/4-1 cup of baking soda in the drain.
2) Pour 1/2 cup vinegar in the drain and immediately cover the drain with a plate.
3) Wait 30 minutes, then uncover and run hot water for 2-3 mins.
4) Repeat for really tough clogs.
16. Put a duvet cover on in 24 seconds.
1) Fold the duvet cover into quarters so one long opening is facing you.
2) Fold the duvet into quarters.
3) Slide the duvet, long crease first, into the opening of the duvet cover.
4) With your fingers, hold the two open corners of the duvet cover, along with the duvet corners. Shake it out.
17. Wrap a shower cap around an overly-sensitive smoke detector.
Secure with a rubber band. Now you’ll never have to get on a ladder to turn it off every time you cook or take a shower.
23. Save time by using your dishwasher to wash things other than dishes.
Examples of things you can clean in your dishwasher: plastic hairbrushes and combs, rain boots, flip flops, baseball caps, broom heads, dustpans, potatoes, garden tools, pet toys, ceiling fan faceplates, mop heads, license plates, sink sponges, computer keyboards, makeup brushes, light fixtures, and hubcaps.
Things you shouldn’t put in there: wooden cutting boards and utensils, cast-iron pots and pans, your cat.
- Donald Trump promised insurance for everyone this weekend, but Senate Republicans say they assume he misspoke.
- President Barack Obama shortened Chelsea Manning's 35-year sentence for leaking documents to WikiLeaks. She'll be freed in May.
- Blue Lies Matter: Video finally proved that police officers lie — and why they get away with it.
- A Toronto man is on a mission to bathe at a different stranger's house every day this month. And so far, so good 🛀