14 Facts About Vulvodynia You Need To Know
There's no instant cure, but there are treatments that can help.
If you have chronic, unexplained pain around the opening of your vagina, there's a chance it might be vulvodynia.
1. It can happen to anyone, at any age.
2. There are two main types of vulvodynia.
3. The sex can be really, really painful.
4. It can also hurt to ride a bike.
5. There's no surefire cure for it.
6. It is NOT a sexually transmitted disease.
7. In addition to pain, you may experience burning, itching, soreness, throbbing or stinging sensations, too.
8. Possible causes include nerve injury, an increase in nerve fibers in the vulva and elevated levels of inflammatory substances in the vulva.
9. Before diagnosing vulvodynia, your doctor may conduct a pelvic exam.
10. And you might end up seeing several specialists, not just a gynecologist.
11. There are a few home remedies you can also try.
12. Lube might help, too.
13. People who have vulvodynia are often too embarrassed to seek help.
14. There's a community out there for people who have it.
Remember, this post isn't meant to be a replacement for professional treatment. Be sure to work with a professional to find the right diagnosis and best treatment for you.
This post was translated from Spanish.