When a new government comes in it gives each department a "mandate letter" defining its priorities. Usually the letters are kept top secret, but today the Liberals made theirs public.
Mostly they enact the Liberal platform, from cutting taxes on the middle class to bringing in 25,000 refugees by the end of the year.
Each letter starts with a pep talk about delivering on promises, working together, and even respecting media. While most of the directions were already known, here are some that are new or flew under the radar.
1. Ban junk food advertisements to children.
2. Revamp the nutrition labels on food to make them more informative. Also, bring in new tobacco packaging.
3. Give trans people protection by adding gender identity provisions to the criminal code and Canadian Human Rights Act.
4. Repeal mandatory minimum sentences (probably).
5. Bring more gender parity to the top ranks of the civil service.
6. Figure out doctor-assisted suicide. Quickly.
7. Repeal the law that lets government strip citizenship from some Canadians.
8. Lots of talk of climate change
Paul McLeod is a politics reporter for BuzzFeed News and is based in Washington, DC.
Contact Paul McLeod at email@example.com.
Emma Loop is a politics reporter for BuzzFeed News and is based in Washington, DC.
Contact Emma Loop at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Got a confidential tip? Submit it here.