Skip To Content

    Those Hoverboard Things Kids Ride Around On Keep Exploding

    Apart from being illegal to use in public in the UK, and the fact that some versions tend to explode while charging, hoverboards are great.

    You know those two-wheeled hoverboards, aka self-balancing scooters, you see people riding around on these days?

    They keep setting on fire. A woman was taken to hospital suffering from burns in High Wycombe on Saturday after one caught fire while charging, Buckinghamshire Fire and Rescue said.

    London fire brigade has attended two house fires caused by self-balancing scooters in the last month.

    Some variants of the device, which along with most versions are made in China, can overheat and catch fire while charging, the service said.

    On 11 October, firefighters fought a blaze in a bedroom of a flat in Southwark after a motorised unicycle set on fire (above).

    Days earlier, a man had to escape from the first floor of his flat in Morden, south London, after a charging hoverboard caught fire.

    This is really heavy! 'Hoverboards' are catching fire while on charge #BackToTheFuture

    Seperately, the Daily Mail reported that a grandad from Kent was left with a £25,000 bill last month after a £300 hoverboard that had been left to charge set on fire and left his kitchen a charred mess.

    Andy Vaughan-Davies, a fire investigations officer for London fire brigade, told BuzzFeed News people are buying cheap versions of the product via social media without knowing how safe they are.

    "The concern is that if these devices are coming in through abnormal means then there are concerns over their safety," he said.

    "The crucial thing is that if people are going to buy one they should go through a reputable retailer. If they go outside of that then there's no comeback."

    A BBC Watchdog investigation last month found that some hoverboards come with non-UK-compliant mains chargers that are potentially dangerous.

    Steve Curtler from Electrical Safety First told the programme: "People are definitely at risk from what we've seen, particularly the charger: There's no fuse, there's no protection, so it's just going to short-circuit, overheat, explode, and catch fire."