A British 15-year-old boy who was days away from masterminding a terrorist attack on an Australian armed services memorial parade has been sentenced to life in prison.
The boy, who cannot be named because of his age, was charged with inciting terrorism overseas by helping to plot an attack on an Anzac Day parade in Melbourne in April.
He had already pleaded guilty to one count of inciting terrorism and is thought to be the youngest Briton to be convicted of a terror offence.
He must serve a minimum of five years before he is eligible for release on licence.
He hugged his crying relatives in the courtroom upon the sentence being delivered, according to reporters present.
A two-day sentencing hearing that ended on Friday at Manchester crown court heard that from his suburban home in Blackburn, Lancashire, while aged just 14, the boy encouraged an Australian man to behead police officers at the parade.
Despite rainy conditions, the parade, which honours Australian and New Zealand servicemen, was attended by an estimated 85,000 people.
The court heard that the plot came within days of being carried out before the authorities were alerted.
The judge, Mr Justice Saunders, said the boy still posed a "high risk" to the public.
The boy was arrested on 24 March. On 15 April – three days before the parade – police in Australia raided the home of his alleged co-conspirator, 18-year-old Sevdet Besim, and found a knife and phone containing a martyrdom message, the court heard.
The court heard that the boy had become Besim's "organiser and adviser" and suggested different ways to wreak havoc on the event.
Police uncovered more than 3,000 encrypted messages sent between the two. The prosecution alleged that the pair were put in touch by Abu Khaled al-Cambodi, another Australian, who has appeared in jihadi propaganda videos.
The court heard that within hours of their first contact the pair were discussing an attack in Australia targeting police officers.
Referring to the plan, on 18 March the boy wrote "Sounds good". Besim allegedly replied: "Make sure the dogs remember this as well as their fallen 'heroes'."
A conversation between the two concerning the nature and tactics of such an attack followed. When Besim sent a picture of a knife, the boy allegedly replied: "Handle is perfect for tearing through throat," the court heard.
Besim is awaiting trial in Australia for conspiring to commit a terrorist act and was denied bail.
Paul Greaney QC, for the prosecution, told the sentencing hearing there was no doubt that the plot was real, the Press Association reported.
"There is no doubt that there was a determination on the part of the defendant and Sevdet Besim that the plot should be carried through and the contact between the two included frequent references to the production of a martyrdom video by Besim for al-Cambodi which, no doubt, al-Cambodi intended to use for propaganda purposes," he said.
"In the event, fortunately, the authorities here and in Australia intervened and a plot that would in all probability have resulted in a number of deaths was thwarted."
The boy was radicalised by online jihadi propaganda and was on a government deradicalisation programme called Channel, the court heard.
But he had underlying problems and struggled in school; the court heard how, in March 2014, he threatened to cut a teaching assistant's throat and watch him bleed to death.
This destructive attitude continued and escalated and before long he had threatened to behead his teachers, according to evidence heard in court.
The boy was highly active on Twitter, where he grew his account to 24,000 followers within two weeks of opening it.
The court heard how he became a "celebrity" in the online jihadi community and encouraged others to take part in violent acts.
In his sentencing, Saunders said the boy had been "used" by older extremists and that the blame must lie with them.
At Friday's hearing the judge reiterated that the boy could not be named.
Detective Chief Superintendent Tony Mole from the North West counterterrorism unit said the boy's young age was no barrier to the police launching an investigation:
After the information was discovered on the boy's phone, it was clear he was encouraging another person to commit an act of terrorism and innocent lives were going to be in danger. A swift investigation was launched and we, alongside the relevant authorities in the UK and Australia, acted quickly.
People will be understandably be shocked by the age of the boy however this should not detract from the horror of what he was planning. It is also a clear message that you will face prosecution, no matter how old you are.
I want to reiterate that it is everybody's responsibility to tackle extremism and radicalisation. It is vital communities and families contact us and bring to our attention anyone they perceive may be vulnerable or in danger of escalating towards terrorism.
Patrick Smith is a senior reporter for BuzzFeed News and is based in London.
Contact Patrick Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Got a confidential tip? Submit it here.