5. He Was More Than a Little Intrigued By Death
Dickens considered death “the ultimate, most threatening mystery,” according to Kaplan. He could often be found visiting the morgue, curiously looking at corpses. Dickens wrote: “Whenever I am at Paris, I am dragged by invisible force into the Morgue.”
6. He May Have Had Too Many Children
Dickens’s wife, Catherine, may have been a bigger fan of children than her husband was. When his ninth child was born, Dickens was working on David Copperfield and became obsessed with killing his new daughter’s fictional namesake: “I have still Dora to kill—I mean the Copperfieldian Dora.” A little creepy, Charles.
7. He Liked to Indulge a Little
According to Kaplan, “At the office, he smoked cigarettes insatiably. At home or with friends, he smoked cigars. Alcohol appealed to him in the form of wine with dinner, champagne at celebrations, and, after dinner, port, sherry, or brandy to punctuate good fellowship.”
8. He Was Not Easily Impressed by Foreign Places
Discussing his dissatisfaction with the Isle of Wight, Dickens ranted: “Naples is hot and dirty, New York feverish, Washington bilious, Genoa exciting, Paris rainy—but Bonchurch, smashing. I am quite convinced that I should die here, in a year. It’s not hot, it’s not close, I don’t know what it is, but the prostration of it is awful.”
9. He Was Courageous under Pressure
When his train ran off the tracks between Dover and London, Dickens heroically evacuated the train car he had been riding in, and tirelessly worked for three hours to try to rescue the injured and dying in the ravine below.
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. It is also not paid advertising. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!
- The Trump administration is rolling back an Obama-era policy aimed at protecting transgender students in public schools.
- North Dakota police have begun clearing out Standing Rock protester camps at the Dakota Access Pipeline site.
- Seven Earth-sized planets that could have water and possibly sustain life have been discovered orbiting a dwarf star, NASA announced today.
- Facebook is in negotiations with the Major League Baseball League to possibly stream one game per week during the 2017 season.