2. He’s won two Hugo Awards and four Nebula Awards.
Fun fact: He didn’t even know he’d won his first Nebula Award for Babel-17 until the reception!
3. His eleventh novel, Dhalgren, is one of the bestselling science fiction novels of all time.
More than one million copies sold!
4. Junot Díaz considers Delany his favorite New Yorker.
Díaz told Time Out that he considers Delany “an extraordinary individual man. He’s also the coolest, funniest motherfucker in the world.” Dhalgren also gets a shoutout in Díaz’s bestseller This Is How You Lose Her.
6. Despite dropping out of college after one semester, he’s been a professor at several universities.
Since 1988, he’s taught at several colleges, including the University of Massachusetts Amherst, the University at Buffalo, and Temple University (currently). #genius #winning #revolutionary #boss #beatingthesystem
9. His work is versatile and cross-genre.
Dhalgren can be read with equal validity as science fiction, magical realism, metafiction, or some combination thereof. Novels aside, Delany also writes memoirs, literary criticism, and essays on sexuality and society.
10. He has an awesome beard.
Because imagined futures and outsider narratives get even better when you picture Santa Claus as the author.
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. It is also not paid advertising. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!
- An NFL player paid tribute to Harambe, the gorilla who died at a Cincinnati zoo, on his cleats.