1. Ranelagh Street, 1941
Liverpool was pummelled by the Luftwaffe in 1940 and 1941. We see here large tracts of the city centre have been flattened by German bombs, though the two buildings in the centre distance have survived unharmed.
2. Ranelagh Street, 1941
Blitz damage inflicted on Ranelagh Street.
3. Cathedral, 1941
Houses used to come right up to the side of the cathedral. They were damaged by German bombs during the Blitz.
4. Great George Square Bowling Green, 1944
The cathedral seen from the Great George Square bowling green. You can see one of the transepts has not been completed yet. The cathedral would not be fully completed until 1960.
5. Cathedral, 1940
Construction of the tower on Liverpool’s massive cathedral nears completion. When construction began in 1904 the cathedral was only the third to be built in the United Kingdom since 1600 and an imposing Gothic yet modern design was selected.
6. The Cavern, 1963
Crowds line up outside the Cavern to catch a show by those up-and-comers the Beatles. The original Cavern Club was bulldozed in a fit of absent-mindedness in the 1970s. When the historic and culture value of the venue was belatedly realised the Cavern was rebuilt using many of the same bricks, though the building’s exterior apparently bears little resemblance to the original.
7. Central Station, 1901
Liverpool’s old Central Station. The station and the building at the rear left were destroyed in the Blitz.
8. Saint John’s Garden, 1913
A trio of barefoot boys relax on a statue pedestal in Saint John’s Garden by Saint George’s Hall.
9. Church Street, 1940
People grimly try to get on with their lives amid the gutted remains of stores on Church Street. The building on the extreme left survives. This was the so-called Christmas Blitz in December 1940, when especially severe bombing on December 20-22 killed dozens of people in shelters.
10. Church Street, 1903
People on Church Street.
11. Saint George’s Place, 1911
Police from Birmingham arrive at Saint George’s Place during the great Liverpool general transport strike. The strike, which began among merchant seamen and spread to a whole range of industries, paralysed much of the city for the summer. Police baton charges dispersed crowds and soldiers from the 18th Hussars opened fire on strikers, killing two. By the end of the unrest 3,500 British troops, primarily from outside Liverpool, were stationed in the city to maintain order.
12. Church Street, 1904
A horse-drawn tram on Church Street.
13. Dry Dock, 1892
The oldest dry dock in Liverpool, these docks were used for hauling up ships and scraping the barnacles off the bottom. Today a rather festive coloured ship has replaced the sailing ships of another era.
14. George’s Dock, 1871
George’s Dock, one of Liverpool’s earlier docks. It was built in 1771 and remained in use for over a century. In 1899 it was filled in to create Pier Head, the site of Liverpool’s main dock offices. In the background is the Church of Our Lady and Saint Nicholas.
15. Goree Piazza, 1928
Carters leading their horses down the busy Goree Piazza. The area has changed so dramatically that one could be forgiven for thinking it isn’t the same spot, but the building on the far left says otherwise.
16. The Royal Liver Building, 1910
The Royal Liver Building under construction. One of the first buildings in the world to be built of reinforced concrete, it housed the Royal Liver Assurance Group, a purveyor of life insurance.
17. North Western Hotel, 1904
Crowds have gathered for a royal visit at the North Western Hotel on Lime Street. Horse guards preparing a salute are the focus of attention. The hotel, a fantastic example of Renaissance Revival style, was built for railway travellers in the 1870s. The hotel closed down in 1933 and remained closed and derelict for 60 years. It was only in 1994 that John Moores University saved this wonderful building, purchasing it and converting it into student housing.
18. The Philharmonic Hall, 1928
The old Philharmonic Hall on Hope Street.
19. The Philharmonic Hall, 1933
The Philharmonic Hall burning down.
20. Ranelagh Street, 1905
A rather grainy photo giving a view up Ranelagh Street. Aside from a couple buildings on the left, the environment has changed dramatically.
21. Rodney Street, 1904
Rodney Street has been jovially decked out for a visit from the King and Queen. Few occasions allowed people to give vent to their patriotism like a royal visit.
22. The Royal Liver Building, 1912
Construction nears completion on the Royal Liver Building. In the background is the Port of Liverpool Building, which was finished in 1906. Between them is an empty space that would shortly be filled by the Cunard Building. Together the buildings became known as the Three Graces. They dominate Liverpool’s waterfront and are world renowned for their fantastic proportions and innovative design.
23. The Salthouse Dock, 1884
The Salthouse Dock when it was a working dock. The photo is from just about the right perspective, though a bridge has extended over the pier on the left in the old photo and I wasn’t able to include it in mine.
24. The Steble Fountain, 1921
Children play in the Steble Fountain at the top of William Brown Street.
25. Saint George’s Square, 1911
Police from Birmingham arrive at Saint George’s Square during the great Liverpool general transport strike.
26. Church Street, 1893
Police and people wait at the corner of Church Street and Tarleton Street. A number of the buildings pictured were destroyed in the Blitz. Today an alien is performing there.
27. Wellington Monument, 1901
People are gathered at the Wellington Monument to celebrate May Day.
28. Whitechapel, 1905
Bunney’s Gift House on Church Street and Whitechapel. Selling gifts, souvenirs, and presentations, Bunney’s wasn’t really all that different from the Forever 21 that occupies the space today, though the marketing is a bit different.
29. The William Brown Library, 1895
It looks like a busy day in front of the William Brown Library and Museum. Cabs crowd the street and an interesting variety of people wander the streets. One of the men on the right appears to be channelling Abraham Lincoln. The building itself was designed in the imposing Neo-Classical style popular in Liverpool, and opened its doors in 1860.