1. My name is Odera Igbokwe. I am a fantasy illustrator and you may know me from projects such as my redesigns from the cast of Sailor Moon/Melanin Mythologies
2. Thomas Blackshear is an illustration legend. Check out his radiant oil painting called "Night In Day".
3. Louis Mailou Jones is one of the founding mothers of the Harlem Renaissance who lead the way for many painters, illustrators, and art educators today.
4. Aaron Douglas, is a master of telling stories with his iconic imagery. We can't speak of black illustrators or the Harlem Rennaissance without mentioning his legacy.
5. Leo and Diane Dillon, the dynamic duo who create absolutely magic book illustrations.
6. K.L. Ricks is a contemporary freelance illustrator and cartoonist.
7. Wangechi Mutu, creates haunting works, transmutates bodies, and battles misogynoir with her painting and collage works.
8. Asiey Barbie provides a stunning take on Steven Universe's Gem War.
9. Chris Visions, comic artist and illustrator extraordinaire
10. Njideka Akunyili-Crosby describes afro-diasporic, intergenerational, interracial slice of life with this painting
11. Gyimah Gariba creates breathtaking illustrations, visual development work, and animations based on black culture and intersectionality
12. Jerry Pinkney has had a rich career spanning decades, with award winning picture books
13. Shadra Strickland shines as a contemporary picture book illustrator and educator
14. Kat Blaque is well known for her fantastic Youtube channel, but is also an absolutely stunning illustrator.
15. Paul Davey also known as Mattahan is a masterful illustrator of the fantastic
16. Paulo D. Campos explores Brazilian folklore with his own unique visual language
17. Tiffany Ford, cartoonist, comic maker, and illustrator creates gorgeous images while working on some of your favorite cartoons.
18. Saina Six combines art nouveau with gorgeous african patterning for magical results
19. Chris Kindred creates work that hits you with reality while still being fantastical and imaginative
20. Nneka Myers creates character designs and visual development that's full of so much life and energy
21. Charles Chaisson is a master of portraiture and storytelling, check out his stunning take on FKA twigs
22. Jay Bendt creates stunning illustrations with a beautiful range of emotions, while also co-creating a webcomic called Nightshade
23. Chioma Ebinama of Chioma Studio, creates work crafted around myth, magic, femininity, and cross cultural diasporic feels.
24. Kadir Nelson is a master of telling stories with his paintings. You have probably seen his work on some of your favorite musical albums or book covers.
25. Lady Garland is a freelance animator and comic artist. Check out her take on Alice In Wonderland and her webcomic The Wind Children
26. Ronald Wimberly, is a designer, storyteller, and artist with an incredibly rich body of work.
27. Richie Pope creates masterful illustrations full of life, texture, and thought provoking symbology.
28. Shannon Wright balances thought provoking editorial illustrations with her love for comics, character design, and the fantastic.
29. Kehinde Wiley is a master of portrait painting who reimagines, transforms, and recontextualizes the identity of black people
30. Leland Goodman is an illustrator, animator, designer of characters and environments. She does it all. Check out her promotional illustration for her rockin' comic, Basement Dwellers coming out in April.
And that's concludes our list of 30 artists!
But just because Black History Month is over, doesn't mean we can't continue the celebration. There is so much beauty and such a spectrum of illustrators, painters, and artists of the African Diaspora. I couldn't possibly fit them all in February. Be on the lookout for more updates on the twitter thread, facebook album, or tumblr tag.
May your melanin forever be on fleek,