2. A new documentary by Marc Silver and Gael García Bernal tells the story of one of these unidentified migrants, who died while crossing the Sonoran desert in Arizona.
In August 2010, border patrol officers found a migrant’s decomposing body in Arizona’s infamous “corridor of death.” His only identifiable feature was a tattoo that read “Dayani Cristal.”
3. The film follows García Bernal as he travels the migrant trail from Honduras through Mexico to cross the American border.
5. García Bernal explores the dangers these men, women, and children face as they travel to the United States in search of a better life.
These dangers include everything from drug cartel massacres, to kidnappings, to freezing temperatures in the desert. “I will never understand the extent of the dangers he faced,” García Bernal says about the unidentified migrant. “I can only retrace his steps.”
8. The film won the Sundance 2013 World Cinema Cinematography Award and was featured at the 51st New York Film Festival. Who is Dayani Cristal? opens April 25 in select cities.
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren went full "nasty" on Trump, saying "nasty women" are going to cast their "nasty votes" on Nov. 8 🙋
- French authorities have begun moving thousands of migrants and refugees from the makeshift "Jungle" camp in Calais.
- "She's not responsible for the journalism mistakes": Why Jackie won't be outed in the Rolling Stone trial.
- These parents came up with maybe the best dirty Halloween couple's costume ever. Parents ftw 😂👏