3. Shakur was named after the South American revolutionary Túpac Amaru.
Túpac Amaru was a South American revolutionary who led the indigenous revolt against Spanish rule. The revolutionary would be executed by his oppressors. “Tupac Amaru” means “shining serpent.” “Shakur” means “thankful to God” in Arabic.
4. Afeni Shakur was an active member of the Black Panther party. Tupac Shakur was born one month and three days after Afeni had been acquitted of charges of “Conspiracy against the United States government and New York landmarks.”
Afeni spent time in jail while she was five months pregnant with Shakur.
16. He was a Shakespeare aficionado.
Talking about Romeo and Juliet: “That’s some serious ghetto shit. You got this guy Romeo from the Bloods who falls for Juliet, a female from the Crips, and everybody in both gangs are against them. So they have to sneak out and they end up dead for nothing. Real tragic stuff.”
21. Tupac and Ice-T sang a duet once.
24. In 2010, “Dear Mama” was the third rap song in history to enter the National Recording Registry.
25. Shakur renamed his publishing company from Ghetto Gospel to Joshua’s Dream after 11-year-old Joshua Torres.
Joshua Torres was an 11-year-old kid, and avid Tupac fan, who was dying from complications of muscular dystrophy. As a way to lift his spirits, Joshua’s mother phoned a local radio station and inquired how she could get Tupac to phone in and talk to her son. According to the Baltimore Sun, Shakur not only phoned in, he also flew into Aberdeen, Wash., and paid a visit to Joshua Torres. Two hours after his visit, Joshua passed away.
27. He cried after having a conversation with Maya Angelou on the set of Poetic Justice.
- President Obama commuted the federal sentences of 111 prisoners, nearing a total of 700 over the course of his presidency.