1. Target has released a promotional video and still shots from its “Target Loves Every Body” swimwear campaign, which features bloggers (from left to right) Nashelly Messina, Nikki Minton, Sarah Boyd, and Chantè Burkett.
2. The campaign showcases a decent amount of body diversity, with stylist Zanna Roberts Rassi addressing each blogger/model’s desires and concerns about her figure.
Refreshingly, rather than assigning the women each a suit that enhances her assumed assets or masks her assumed flaws, Roberts Rassi gives each woman the agency to first identify her own favorite physical attribute, and then to identify any features that may make her less comfortable at the beach.
3. “We know there is no ‘one suit fits all’ and wanted to help women feel confident this summer and empowered to try different styles, no matter their size or shape,” a Target spokesperson told BuzzFeed Life.
“By partnering with real women that represent a range of body types and working with someone with a deep knowledge of styling and fashion like Zanna, we wanted to … inspire women to discover that Target has a suit for every body type, every style, and every size, and you won’t need to pay a lot for it.”
4. “All [the ideas in the video] are to help you look your very best and embrace your body,” Roberts Rassi says at the end of the clip. “There is a suit for everybody, and I want everyone to have fun.”
It’s a ways from the store’s previous thigh gap photoshopping snafus, and it’s a sentiment Burkett echoes.
5. “Being the only plus-size girl in this swimsuit campaign really challenged my confidence,” Burkett told BuzzFeed Life, “and to be honest, I never felt more confident in my life.”
“This means the world to me, and I know it will mean even more to girls who look just like me. This is me and I love me, period, point blank. It’s swimsuit season, ladies; stop hiding and have fun!”
6. “We all loved our looks and they complemented each body type perfectly,” said Boyd.
7. “I’m actually shocked that we’re still talking about these types of campaigns as ‘innovative,’” Messina said frankly of the shoot. “And of course this one is, and that’s because not enough companies like Target are doing this.”
“It’s not just about not working with models or bloggers that look like models. It’s about partnering with average-sized women,” she told BuzzFeed Life.
8. “I think it’s great to celebrate girls (and guys!) of all body types,” said Minton. “I certainly don’t have a ‘model body,’ but I think the campaign can open our eyes to the fact that everyone has their fit struggles and triumphs.”
“Plus it was really fun to hang by a pool with the girls all day!”
- Beloved actor Gene Wilder, who starred in classics like "Willy Wonka" and "Blazing Saddles," has died at 83.
- Huma Abedin, a top aide to Hillary Clinton, is separating from Anthony Weiner after his latest sexting revelation.
- Apple will unveil the newest iPhones on September 7. Expect a new dual-camera system and NO headphone jack 📱