1. This is Erik Compton. He’s a professional golfer still seeking his first PGA Tour win, and he’s lucky to be alive today.
5. Life on the Nationwide Tour was a grind, and in 2008, after 16 years with his second heart, Compton suffered a massive heart attack on the golf course.
10. Compton, like many rookies, struggled in his first full season, carding one top-25 finish. He ended up 173rd on the money list, well short of the mark needed to secure a member card for 2013.
11. To retain a place on the PGA Tour, Compton had to return to PGA Qualifying School, a six-round gauntlet of a tournament. Given Compton’s condition, it would be a battle just to finish the 108 holes, let alone play well enough to qualify.
12. But yesterday, Compton finished the sixth round of the final qualifying stage at 22-under par. Meaning that the golfer on his third heart who thought he had lost his golf dream more times than you can count would get to go back on the Pro tour.
13. Erik Compton: The badass that wouldn’t let two bum hearts stop him.
- It's Day 2 of the Democratic National Convention in Philadelphia. Here's what you need to know.