1. On Sunday, Lionel Messi broke Gerd Mueller’s 40-year-old record for most goals in a calendar year, scoring two in a Barcelona win to bring his 2012 total to 86. Here is every single one of them.
Perhaps the most remarkable thing about Messi’s incredible 86-goal haul is how many of those were relatively easy finishes (for him, at least). His positional awareness relative to the defenders around him — and the considerable passing acumen of his Barcelona teammates — means Messi rarely scores from from low-percentage areas outside the penalty box. The goals just come to him.
Barcelona still has 3 matches to play before 2013 begins, so Messi could easily break 90.
- More than 90 people have died in Indonesia's earthquake, officials say. Thousands of rescuers are being deployed to the hit area.
- Fake news fools most Americans who read it — and Facebook is a major source, a BuzzFeed News survey has found 📰❌
- A refrigerator is being eyed as the possible origin of the fire at an Oakland warehouse party that killed 36 people, a law enforcement official said.
- An adorable 3-year-old boy proudly covered his kitchen with carrots in the greatest carrot heist of all time 😂👏