Lionel Messi is the best soccer player in the world, so it’s understandable that fans want to get closer to him. Too often, however, it lands Messi in dangerous situations. Just a few months ago, some guy evaded security at the Nou Camp and gave Messi a hug, and it’s not the first time something like that has happened to the Argentine. Today, during an international friendly between Argentina and Sweden in Gothenburg, a crazy fan upped the ante.
3. With a few minutes left in the game, a fan clad in a Barcelona jersey kisses Messi on the forehead and ruffles his hair for a while before security politely escort him away.
Whenever something like this happens in the United States, the field invader usually gets tackled by burly men and fans cheer. Sometimes they get tased. It may seem a bit excessive, but the punishment serves a purpose: When fans run onto the field, athletes are in danger. This guy could have a knife hidden under his jersey, for all we know. He had Lionel Messi’s head between his palms. He could have killed the biggest sporting star in the world, if he chose — and he’s calmly walked off the field as if this was a planned part of the festivities.
Dear European soccer stewards: Get your shit together.
- Top legal scholars will be filing the 1st major lawsuit against President Donald Trump's alleged business conflicts on Monday.
- "Welcome to the movement": Women's March on Washington organizers are working tirelessly to make sure first-time marchers stick around ✊
- A mass grave in Mexico contained the remains of 56 people, many of whom went missing in 2010, authorities said Sunday.
- The New England Patriots are heading to the Super Bowl yet again. They'll play the Atlanta Falcons on Feb. 5 🏈