1. Jack-o'-lanterns used to be made out of turnips, beets and potatoes -- not pumpkins.
2. Ireland is typically believed to be the birthplace of Halloween.
3. Halloween is the second highest grossing commercial holiday after Christmas.
4. Kids eat 3500-7000 calories from Halloween candy each year!
5. Statistically, the biggest danger on Halloween is alcohol poisoning.
6. A full moon on Halloween is extremely rare; the next one is in 2020.
7. There's a $1,000 fine for using or selling Silly String in Hollywood on Halloween.
8. Candy Corn was originally known as "chicken feed".
9. October 28th is the highest day of the year in candy sales.
10. According to superstition, if you see a spider on Halloween it's the spirit of a loved one watching over you
11. Samhainophobia is the fear of Halloween.
12. The famous magician Harry Houdini (1874-1926) died on Halloween night.
13. Americans spent over $300 million on pet costumes last year.
This post was created by a member of BuzzFeed Community, where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!