1. In ancient Judea, the Jewish people lived under Greek rule.
2. The story goes that King Antiochus was a ruler who outlawed the Jewish religion.
3. Brave Jews practiced in secrecy, and resentment toward their rulers started to mount.
5. He led his army, the Maccabees, to battle against the Greek empire.
7. They were a small force but fought long and hard against their oppressors.
8. They managed to win the fight against their much bigger enemy.
9. But in the battle, much of the city was destroyed, including the great temple.
10. After the war was over, the Jewish people went to go rededicate the temple and light the menorah.
11. They needed oil to light it but there was only enough over to last for one night.
13. In what only can be described as a miracle, it lasted for eight.
16. Now we light menorahs of our own to remember the miracle that happened.
17. We eat fried foods like latkes and sufganiyot (jelly donuts) to signify the oil.
18. It’s a great holiday with lots of dreidel spinning and family time.
- A dad is bringing his 6-year-old son's drawings to life with the help of Photoshop 🖊💭