1. Atlantic writer Caitlin Flanagan is most recently known for her sprawling cover story about America’s fraternities.
2. She tweets off the cuff.
4. On Wednesday night, Flanagan tweeted and deleted the following joke: “I’m having a hard time understanding everything Duke porn star is saying about feminism. Maybe it’s because of that dick in her mouth.”
6. She then revealed that her editor at The Atlantic, Scott Stossel, was the one who asked her to take down the tweet.
“While we have no formal Twitter policy at The Atlantic, we do expect our employees to use the medium in a sensible and tasteful way,” Stossel told BuzzFeed. “Given that The Atlantic is part of Caitlin Flanagan’s Twitter handle and profile, we asked her to delete a tweet that does not conform to The Atlantic’s standards of discourse.”
10. She didn’t really mind taking down the tweet.
15. She then joked that the whole incident connected her to the Duke porn star.
Flanagan echoed that sentiment in a statement to BuzzFeed: “I was only asked to take down one tweet. More interesting conversations — and more interesting forms of self-expression — took place on the account because of that mild indignity than the Tweet itself could have ever engendered.”
- In case you were wondering, no — a big cyber attack couldn't swing the election.
- Kesha fans rejoice: Sony just confirmed that a new album is in the works 🎵