1. Committing to a series of 10 600-page books, and knowing it will completely consume you.
2. Flipping to the map after ever page so you know exactly where you are in relation to every subplot.
3. Pronouncing that one name in your head then hearing it out loud.
4. A new love triangle being introduced and upsetting what you thought was your OTP.
5. Defending a species' culture as if it were real.
6. Commandeering the conversation with another fan and completely ignoring the non-fans at the table.
7. Realizing the best characters are never human because humans suck.
8. When your favorite character dies, and you have to face the fact that the story will go on without them.
9. Debating obsessively about one minor plot point then realizing later that you remembered it wrong.
10. Finding yourself responding to just one more fan theory forum before you realize it's 4 a.m.
11. Arguing with other fans that YOUR fantasy obsession is better than theirs.
12. Putting the book down and coming to terms with the fact that you don't live in that universe.
Never fear — The Shannara Chronicles is here. Tune in Tuesdays at 10/9c on MTV.
Thumbnails courtesy of Thinkstock.