1. This afternoon, FIFA suspended former Germany captain and coach Franz Beckenbauer from all football-related activities, at any level, for 90 days.
This ban was announced after Beckenbauer, who is an adviser to FIFA’s football committee and a global ambassador for German club Bayern Munich, failed to cooperate with an ongoing investigation into possible corruption surrounding the 2018 and 2022 World Cup bids, and reportedly refused “repeated requests for his assistance, including requests that he provide information during an in-person interview or in response to written questions provided in both English and German.”
This news comes on the heels of a report that FIFA reached out to the United States to be ready if Qatar gets stripped of the 2022 World Cup. Although the U.S. Soccer Federation President Sunil Gulati has since denied that report, it should be noted that Beckenbauer was a voting member of FIFA’s executive committee in December 2010 when it chose Qatar, and Russia as 2018 World Cup host.
- Donald Trump slammed the CIA after reports that the agency believes Russia used hacks to try to help him win.
- Rudy Giuliani is no longer being considered for a position in the Trump administration. Trump says the former NYC mayor withdrew his name.
- Fire investigators have ruled out a refrigerator as the cause of a warehouse fire that killed 36 people in Oakland, California.
- The world's oldest known breeding seabird just laid another egg. Her name is Wisdom and she's 66 🐦