Are you planning to move to Los Angeles? You’re not the only one. Los Angeles is a dream destination for thousands of people globally who watch as the world shines a spotlight on our city. They want to experience the stardust. They want to see if they can shine too.
Moving to Los Angeles is a risk that many may take but few will endure. To encourage and inspire the readers of Moving To LA TODAY, a resource blog for hopeful Los Angeles transplants, I hit the streets searching for the most admired and respected business and community leaders in Los Angeles. I wanted to learn from the most successful and beloved Los Angeles residents what it takes to build a brilliant life in L.A.
The 30 names on this list were offered in whispers at the post office, while in line at the grocery store and even while breaking a sweat at the gym. I asked unsuspecting Los Angeles residents- Is there anyone in this community that you admire? Do you know of anyone who represents the true spirit of Los Angeles?
From information gleaned from bus drivers, on-duty police officers and random email exchanges, I now present a celebration of the best of the best of the Los Angeles community; the most beloved community members and leaders.
The top 10 most celebrated L.A. Power Players were given an award and invited to share their thoughts in an exclusive interview that offers viewers important advice about how to build a beautiful life in Los Angeles from the very people who represent the epitome of success in L.A. Do you have what it takes to thrive in L.A.?
Meet the Los Angeles Power Players
2. 1. Jackie Brander- West Coast Director of Quintessentially
As the former owner of the high end retail hot spot, Fred Segal, Jackie was thrown into the spotlight as she catered to and courted the most illuminated names in Hollywood and beyond. LEARN MORE…
3. 2. Councilman Bernard Parks - Councilman 8th District Los Angeles
Completing his third term as Los Angeles City Councilmember for the Eighth Council District, Councilman Parks also served as the Los Angeles Police Department Chief of Police from 1997 to 2002. LEARN MORE…
4. 3. Shane Murphy Goldsmith - CEO Liberty Hill Foundation
Shane Murphy Goldsmith is the CEO of Liberty Hill, a foundation that offers a unique combination of grants, leadership training and support to organizations that incite social change. LEARN MORE…
5. 4. Moj Mahdara - Serial Entrepreneur
Fifteen years ago Moj stepped out on a limb and became an entrepreneur. She defined herself for herself and magic happened; she became one of the most prolific serial entrepreneurs in Los Angeles County. Admired and sought out by brands who need that extra push to create the buzz their products need, Moj is considered to be a secret weapon. LEARN MORE…
6. 5. Aqeela Sherrills - Watts Community Activist
“Live beneath your means,” Aqeela encourages. “Things are really expensive in LA so you have to make sure that you don’t move into a place you cannot afford. And- don’t be deceived by manicured lawns and big pretty houses, LA is still a dangerous place to live; remain vigilant.” LEARN MORE…
7. 6. Paul Hibler - Culinary Visionary
Paul has made Los Angeles his home and has relentlessly tilled this fertile ground until every season yields a crop of happy customers. He says he enjoys living in Los Angeles because of its progressive nature. LEARN MORE…
8. 7. Elizabeth An - Owner, Crustacean Beverly Hills
Elizabeth credits the community of transplants in Los Angeles as the reason why she has been successful in business here. “Because of the welcoming nature and diversity of Los Angeles, our family and our culinary traditions were accepted with open arms by the community, and Crustacean was an instant hit, and I am forever grateful for that,” Elizabeth shares. LEARN MORE…
9. 8. Dr. Carol Brooks - Inglewood Dentist
Carol has enjoyed watching the city of Inglewood grow over the course of more than 2 decades as she grew her private practice located at 3015 W. 85th Street in Inglewood, earning her a reputation as a staple in the Inglewood community. LEARN MORE…
10. 9. Todd Barnes- General Manager of The Abbey
Todd Barnes is the General Manager at The Abbey, the uncontested hub of the gay community in Los Angeles County. The Abbey serves as a must-visit ticket item during every trip to Los Angeles, boasting a roster of clientele that would outshine all of the stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. LEARN MORE…
10. Rabbi Steven Z. Leder - Wilshire Boulevard Temple
11. Chris Blatchford- Investigative Reporter, Fox 11 News
12. Bill Walshe - CEO of Viceroy Hotel Group
13. Alle Fister - President ofBollare Communications
14. Hee Joo Yoon- Executive Director of the Korean Resource Center
15. Lin Schatz - General Manager of Andaz West Hollywood
16. Ann Ehringer, Owner of Saddle Peak Lodge in Malibu Canyon
17. Lucas John - Creator and blogger at WeHo Confidential
18. Jorge Valencia - CEO & Executive Director of Point Foundation
19. Dr. Jeff Werber- Award-Winning Veterinarian
20. David Levinson- Founder and Executive Director of Big Sunday
21. Dr. Garo Kassabian- Cosmetic Surgeon in Beverly Hills
22. Joe Hicks- Vice President of Community Advocates, Inc.
23. Larry Sand, President of California Teachers Empowerment Network
24. Maxine Waters - Congresswoman
25. Dora Leong Gallo- Chief Executive Officer A Community of Friends
26. Pastor Augie Varajas- Eagle Rock Church
27. Brent Whittlesey Area Director at American Youth Soccer Organization
28. Bishop Charles Blake- West Angeles Church
29. Johnathan Williams - Educator-The Accelerated Schools
30. Robert Garcia- Vice-Mayor of Long Beach
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. It is also not paid advertising. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!
- Beyoncé slayed her "Lemonade" performance at the MTV VMAs Sunday night 👸🐝