1. Red-Crested Tree Rat
Thought to be extinct for more than a century, one just moseyed up to a pair of biologists in May 2011. What luck!
2. Northern White Rhinoceros
These magnificent beasts have been completely wiped out in the wild by poachers; only 7 remain in captivity.
3. Rabbs’ Fringe-Limbed Treefrog
This fella—residing at the Atlanta Botanical Garden in Georgia—is literally the last of its kind.
The species is most likely a victim of the chytrid fungus, an infectious disease that’s been responsible for the decline of amphibians everywhere.
4. Yangtze Giant Softshell Turtle
This Yangtze River native fell prey to widespread pollution, development, and hunting.
The largest freshwater turtles are reduced to a mere 4 in the world.
6. Pinta Island Tortoise
‘Lonesome George’ was thought to be the last known surviving Pinta Island tortoise.
It turns out there may be others.
Scientists have discovered genetic evidence of first-generation tortoise hybrids on Isabella Island, which suggests there is at least one full-blooded Pinta Island tortoise left in existence.
7. Hula Painted Frog
A routine patrol around the Hula nature reserve turned out to be fate: a discovered specimen proved that these frogs didn’t go extinct after all!
It’s too early to celebrate, however, as the frogs’ population is still very small even with ongoing conservation efforts.
8. Baiji Dolphin
Another Yangtze River native, the Baiji dolphins received the dubious honor of being the first cetacean species to be declared functionally extinct in 2006.
A dolphin was sighted a year later by a Chinese man, which experts did later confirm as a Baiji. It’s impossible to determine how many of them remain.
This post was created by a user and has not been vetted or endorsed by BuzzFeed's editorial staff. BuzzFeed Community is a place where anyone can post awesome lists and creations. Learn more or post your buzz!
- The National Enquirer tabloid is growing by speaking to an audience ignored by mainstream media and backing Trump.
- An American soldier died in Iraq this weekend after a roadside bomb exploded during a security check, the Pentagon said.
- As the number of terrorist convictions has increased in the UK, so has the concern that other inmates could too be lured into extremism.
- Selena Gomez said the backlash surrounding "13 Reasons Why" "is going to come no matter what" and noted that she's very proud of the series.