1. The sale of the Los Angeles Clippers for $2 billion to former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer has been finalized, the NBA announced Tuesday.
In a statement Tuesday, the NBA said the league’s “Board of Governors previously approved the sale and Ballmer is now the Clippers Governor.”
“I am humbled and honored to be the new owner of the Los Angeles Clippers,” Ballmer said in a statement released by the team.
“Clipper fans are so amazing. They have remained fiercely loyal to our franchise through some extraordinary times. I will be hard core in giving the team, our great coach, staff and players the support they need to do their best work on the court. And we will do whatever necessary to provide our fans and their families with the best game-night experience in the NBA.”
3. In June, a California judge ruled against former Clippers owner Donald Sterling, who attempted to block the sale of the team to Ballmer by his wife, Shelly Sterling.
In April, the NBA banned Donald Sterling for life and urged him to quickly sell the team after racist remarks made by Sterling were caught on tape.
Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling (center) and his wife, Shelly, (left) at a Clippers game in 2008.
6. “This is an amazing new day in Clippers history,” Clippers President of Basketball Operations and Head Coach Doc Rivers said in a statement.
“I couldn’t be more excited to work together with Steve as we continue to build a first-class, championship organization,” Rivers said. “I am already inspired by Steve’s passion for the game, his love of competition and desire to win the right way and I know our players and fans are going to be inspired as well.”
Following the Sterling scandal, Rivers reportedly threatened to leave the team if Sterling remained on as owner.
Clippers Coach Doc Rivers
- For the second day in California, protests against Donald Trump grew heated as demonstrators briefly overcame a police barricade.
- The U.S. Navy will now let sailors wear neck tattoos and sleeves, in an effort to maintain its appeal among young people ⚓️
- And do you know what happened in the news this week? Take our quiz 💯