1. The hot dogs came before the burgers.
Shake Shack started in 2001 as a small cart in NYC’s Madison Square Park that sold hot dogs and lemonade. It wasn’t until three years later that the company revamped its concept, added burgers, fries, and custards to the menu — and moved into a permanent space.
6. Nearly half of Shake Shack’s locations are now overseas.
At 13, the Middle East has the most — even more than New York.
8. Each location has a slightly different menu, with concretes — or frozen custards — that play off each city or locale.
Philly’s Rittenhouse concrete is loaded with La Colombe coffee beans. Brooklyn’s LumberShack has bacon peanut brittle from The Redhead. And South Beach’s Key Lime Pie has a slice from The Sugar Monkey.
11. Shake Shack has been slammed for its frozen, crinkle-cut fries.
In a 2012 review for the New York Times, restaurant critic Pete Wells said: “You can get better fries just about anywhere … Can’t one of his chefs show [Meyer] how to make a decent French fry?”
12. In response, some locations switched over to a hand-cut version.
Sadly, it’s the only location that does this.
15. On the list of things Shake Shack says it will never do? A drive-thru.
20. Cooks use paint scrapers to get the burgers off the griddle. And burgers are cooked medium — unless you specify otherwise.
22. Working there has its perks.
New York staffers are paid $10 per hour, more than $2 above the minimum wage paid to employees at similar fast food places. Workers can also qualify for a monthly bonus: up to 1% of the company’s overall revenue from their specific location.
23. Shack Swag exists.
24. But unfortunately, this does not.
- At least 41 people have died in a suicide bombing attack on Istanbul's international airport, Turkish officials said.
- Brexit fallout: Leaders of the remaining European Union states will call for the UK's withdrawal to happen in an "orderly fashion" and quickly.
- Ready for the U.S. presidential election in November? It's #TurnUpToVote week at BuzzFeed and you can register here 🇺🇸