24 Things You Didn't Know About Shake Shack
Two words: breakfast burgers.
1. The hot dogs came before the burgers.
Shake Shack started in 2001 as a small cart in NYC's Madison Square Park that sold hot dogs and lemonade. It wasn't until three years later that the company revamped its concept, added burgers, fries, and custards to the menu — and moved into a permanent space.
2. The original Madison Square Park location now sells about 150 pounds of frozen custard on a good day.
4. There are about two dozen Shake Shacks in the U.S — spread across New York, Pennsylvania, Florida, D.C., Connecticut, Massachusetts, and New Jersey.
5. The first location in the West will open later this year.
6. Nearly half of Shake Shack's locations are now overseas.
At 13, the Middle East has the most — even more than New York.
8. Each location has a slightly different menu, with concretes — or frozen custards — that play off each city or locale.
Philly's Rittenhouse concrete is loaded with La Colombe coffee beans. Brooklyn's LumberShack has bacon peanut brittle from The Redhead. And South Beach's Key Lime Pie has a slice from The Sugar Monkey.
9. Same goes for the international Shacks.
London has a brownie-and-brown-sugar-biscuit combo, Dubai has honey-almond cake, and Istanbul has a baklava creation.
11. Shake Shack has been slammed for its frozen, crinkle-cut fries.
12. In response, some locations switched over to a hand-cut version.
14. The Shake Shack at JFK airport serves breakfast sandwiches — like the sausage, egg, and cheese.
17. You can order a Quad.
20. Cooks use paint scrapers to get the burgers off the griddle. And burgers are cooked medium — unless you specify otherwise.
21. Shake Shack uses a smash technique to cook its patties: Thick pucks of beef are flattened onto the griddle, then flipped.
22. Working there has its perks.
New York staffers are paid $10 per hour, more than $2 above the minimum wage paid to employees at similar fast food places. Workers can also qualify for a monthly bonus: up to 1% of the company's overall revenue from their specific location.
24. But unfortunately, this does not.