1. Gus, New York City’s favorite polar bear, was euthanized on Tuesday after vets discovered that he had an inoperable tumor.
2. He was 27 years old and, according to the Central Park Zoo where he lived, he had seen more than 20 million zoo visitors during his lifetime.
3. Gus made headlines in 1994 for his repetitive swimming patterns that indicated he suffered from neurosis and depression.
6. Ida died in 2011 at the age of 25 from liver disease, leaving Gus with a broken heart. He was described as depressed and listless after her death.
Ida in 2010.
7. More recently, caretakers first noticed something was terribly wrong with Gus’s health when he stopped eating like his normal self and had trouble chewing.
8. That’s when the tumor was discovered and it was decided that Gus would need to be put down.
9. Gus and Ida will both be remembered for the joy they brought to the New York public, and the love they shared.
11. And so we say thank you to Gus and Ida for sharing their lives with us. You will not be forgotten.
- An off-duty Los Angeles police officer was caught on cellphone video firing at least one shot during a confrontation with several teens.