3. Reindeer are so tough that even in the summer they prefer to keep it cool.
When grazing in their native Lapland region (the Arctic north of Norway, Sweden, Finland, and Northwest Russia) reindeer tend to migrate vertically in the summer, meaning that they go up into the mountains to find cooler temperatures. When the rest of us would be thrilled to have a break from the harsh Finnish cold, reindeer have no interest in those shenanigans.
4. One of the (many) reasons they’re so tough? Reindeer fur is specially designed to be as warm as physically possible.
“The hair of the reindeer is hollow, so there is air between the hairs and also inside the hair, and their winter coat is really thick,” said Mari Heikkila, director of Ranua Wildlife Park in Finland, in an interview with the Associated Press.
…reindeer stop so regularly to pee that the Sami people (who inhabit the reindeer-full area of the world) have a term of measurement for the six-mile interval reindeer travel between pees. It is “poronkusema.”
“Poronkusema” is translated to mean “a reindeer’s piss.”
Another version of the story involves feeding the reindeer mushrooms then eating their meat in order to consume the hallucinogenic substance.
Whether or not any of that is accurate, it’s safe to say that there are some crazy theories going on regarding shrooms, reindeer, and those Samis.
And so we thank the reindeer for all that they do. From consistent peeing to adorable babies, these magical creatures give us holiday joy and endless amounts of cute.
Go forth, young reindeer lovers! Spread the word of their majesty far and wide, over many poronkusema!
Facts from here
- Donald Trump broke with decades of US policy by speaking with the president of Taiwan Friday, a move that could anger China.
- A jury failed to reach a verdict Friday in the case of Michael Slager, a former South Carolina officer charged in the fatal shooting of Walter Scott.
- The CEO of Zenefits plans to step down after 10 months on the job. A legal mess nearly sank the company this year.
- A UFC fighter is asking people to crush apples with their bare hands 🍎💪