The New York Times first broke the story that Google was working on augmented reality glasses powered by Android in February. Google’s decided now’s the time for the world to get used to the idea of everybody wearing glasses ripped straight out of amateur-hour science fiction. It’s called Project Glass. Do not expect it to exist in a form that you can purchase anytime soon, and if it does, do not expect it to work nearly as miraculously as it does in this video.
This video is the good kind of aspirational science fiction, the clearly achievable kind, the same kind of sci-fi that the idea of a tablet for everybody was not too long ago. This is the next obvious place to go: Computers we can wear.
I’d really like some wooden frames, though. Fortunately, I may be in luck: The Times reports that “there are reportedly dozens of other shapes and variations of the glasses in the works, some of which can sit over a person’s normal eyeglasses.”
Some thoughts on the video, in no particular order (by which I mean chronological order):
• That’s a really old MacBook Pro for THE FUTURE
• Will I be able to see Glass before I put my contacts in?
• Dude you make a lot of noises while you eat.
• There is no way the MTA will ever be that good at telling you when trains don’t work
• Man that’s a lot of talking to yourself. Are we going to be cities of people talking to ourselves, all the time, wearing silly glasses? Gross.
• No phone today works this well. Like, no phone tomorrow is going to work this well.
• Notice NOBODY ELSE is wearing those glasses
• DON’T JUMP
• OH MAN DON’T MAKE YOUR GIRLFRIEND WATCH
• THE GLASSES WILL LOOK BETTER ONE DAY MAYBE YOU DON’T HAVE TO DIE SO YOUNG
• Oh hey, a ukulele. The future IS cool.
- Trump is viewed as "honest and trustworthy" by only 36% of the public, raising questions about his effectiveness in a crisis.
- Today is Trump's 100th day in office. We found an average of about one false statement per day from him and his aides so far 💯
- A luxury event called Fyre Festival turned into a total disaster — and it's shows how insane and competitive the industry has become 😱
- The story of two lesbian Chinese billionaires who got married and became the richest couple alive has gone viral, but it's fake ❌