1. Firstly, same-sex couples are ~smarter~ than straight couples.
According to census data collected in 2011, 42% of people in same-sex couples have bachelor degrees, compared to just 23% of people in opposite-sex couples.
2. They also more likely to contribute to the economy! Eighty-nine per cent of people in same-sex couples have jobs, compared to just 69% of people in straight couples.
They are also much more likely to be high-flying: Fifty-three per cent of people in same-sex couples are managers or professionals, compared to 40% of people in opposite-sex couples.
3. Same-sex couples are also richer!
Eighteen per cent of men in same-sex couples earned more than $2,000 per week, compared with just 14% of men in straight couples. Meanwhile, women in same-sex couples were nearly three times more likely to earn that amount than women in straight couples.
4. Same-sex couples are looking fine! (They are younger.)
The average age of people in same-sex couples is 40, while it's 48 for straight couples.
5. Same-sex couples broaden their horizons.
The data shows that 63% of same-sex couples moved in the previous five years, compared to just 40% of straight couples.
6. And same-sex couples actually share the housework!
Any way you break it down, same-sex couples are way more likely to share the unpaid domestic work. Lift together!
Mark Di Stefano is a media and politics reporter for BuzzFeed News and is based in London.
Contact Mark Di Stefano at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Got a confidential tip? Submit it here.