1. On Tuesday night (yet again) Australia's government delayed marriage equality legislation by shutting down a free vote for MPs. The opposition leader was angry at the prime minister.
2. The conservative PM Tony Abbott forced the issue to come to a head within his party and two-thirds rejected moving forward. Greens MP Sarah Hanson-Young was incensed.
3. Because Australia remains one of the very last countries in the English-speaking Western world to get with the times.
4. Some people were pointing out that the Liberal party's name suggested they should let their MPs vote with their hearts.
5. The whole situation got people really upset.
6. And angry.
7. Really bloody pissed off, tbh.
8. There was bucketloads of anger directed at the PM.
9. It drove some people to consider some comfort eating.
10. And there were snarky tweets at anti-marriage-equality campaigners.
11. But really it was all about Tony Abbott.
12. Just how everyone was super confused about what had happened.
13. There were memes.
14. Solid memes.
15. Poor Tony got savaged.
16. Because what about his sister who is gay and wants to get married??
17. Yeah, see ya.
18. A year out from an election, Abbott seemed in survival mode.
19. At the end of the day, some people stayed hopeful.
20. There was a sense that there would be revenge.
21. And history would be on their side.
Mark Di Stefano is a media and politics reporter for BuzzFeed News and is based in London.
Contact Mark Di Stefano at email@example.com.
Got a confidential tip? Submit it here.