1. This is France’s 14th FIFA World Cup and there are many reasons why you should cheer for them.
2. France has a long history in the World Cup. They participated in the very first one in 1930.
Lucien Laurent, a French player, even scored the very first goal in World Cup history.
3. And to this day, French player Just Fontaine (left) holds the record of the highest number of goals scored by a single player in a World Cup.
He scored 13 goals during the 1958 FIFA World Cup in Sweden.
4. Supporting France is stressful but also suspenseful and exciting.
France has made it to the final twice in the last four World Cups, winning once in 1998, but they didn’t win a single game the other two times.
5. I mean, how many teams go on strike during a World Cup?
In 2010 in South Africa, les bleus decided to go on strike and stop training after Nicolas Anelka was excluded from the team. THE ENTIRE TEAM STOPPED TRAINING IN THE MIDDLE OF THE WORLD CUP. Obviously, they didn’t win a single game, but at least there was some drama.
7. But when they win, it is glorious!
8. Like that time in 1998 when they won the World Cup by beating Brazil 3-0.
With a dream-team including Zidane, Henry, Petit and Barthez.
9. Last year, things weren’t so great for the French team and they barely qualified for the World Cup during play-offs.
10. But, since then, they’ve had a series of victories.
Starting with their 3-0 victory against Ukraine that allowed their qualification for the World Cup. In May, they also beat Norway 4-0 in a friendly game.
11. They have many things working in their favor. For one, their coach, Didier Deschamps, was the captain of the 1998 French team.
So he knows a thing or two about winning.