3. This is Switzerland’s 10th FIFA World Cup appearance.
4. Their best performances were in 1934, 1938, and 1954, when they reached the quarterfinals.
Here they are playing against Italy in 1954.
5. So Switzerland has a long history in the World Cup.
And a long history of very bad haircuts.
6. Despite their past success, they were known for playing a defensive style of football.
And they were sometimes a bit boring, to be honest.
9. Ottmar Hitzfeld, their coach, is a veteran with an impressive career.
He accumulated 18 major titles in his career, mostly during his tenures with Borussia Dortmund, Grasshopper Club Zürich, and Bayern Munich. He is planning to retire after the World Cup so he’ll want this one to count.
- A jury failed to reach a verdict Friday in the case of Michael Slager, a former South Carolina officer charged in the fatal shooting of Walter Scott.
- Mall of America, the largest mall in the country, is hosting its first ever black Santa 🎅🏿