1. As weird as many 90s games were, this one was weirdest, because NO ONE had a clue who these two badasses were when the game came out. The box art didn’t help:
Kids everywhere faced ridicule whenever they invited friends to come play “Toejam.” And that was a major bummer, because it was one of about 3 good multiplayer games for Sega Genesis.
2. Yes, Toejam and Earl. They were aliens from planet Funkotron, crash landed on Earth.
Amidst the “XTREME” 90s pursuit of cool, Travis Fahs described Toejam & Earl as a game “content to poke fun at the whole over-the-top appropriation of urban culture, set to the anachronistic sounds of funk music…”
3. And what sweet sounds they were:
Reportedly inspired by the great Jazz pioneer, Herbie Hancock.
9. Sega released the sequel in 1993, but forced the creators to turn the game from a roguelike RPG into a sidescroller a la Mario Bros.
This time, Earthlings are unexpectedly loose on planet Funkotron. You spend the entire game putting people in jars and rocketing them back to Earth.
11. The sidescrolling sequel disappointed fans of the original, who felt the developers had sold out.
But TJ&E 2 maintained the original’s simultaneous AND cooperative 2-player mode, a feature absent from most popular games at the time — even those of the Great Mustachioed One.
- Arkansas has carried out the first double execution since 2000. The state had scheduled 8 executions before a key drug expires.
- "Stealthing," or purposefully removing a condom during sex without consent, has become a new trend. But victims say it is another form of assault.
- The same Russian hackers who interfered in the 2016 US presidential election are now active in German and French politics 💻
- A popular app changed the name of a filter after people complained it whitewashes them. The filter still lightens your skin though 🤔