1. This Lord of the Rings theory has come to light online, and has proved very popular. It claims to answer the question of why the eagles didn’t just fly the ring to Mordor.
However, there are some issues with the idea – and fair warning, it’s pretty long.
2. We’ve summarised the basic theory here:
3. There are actually reasons why the eagles never carried the ring, though they are less exciting. Firstly, the Fellowship was attempting to remain out of sight of Sauron. Giant eagles are not that subtle.
The entire purpose of the battle outside the Black Gate was to distract Sauron so Frodo could sneak into Mordor.
4. The eagles are also a sentient race, not a group of animals – and definitely not a Middle-earth Uber to be called at will.
They are actually agents of Manwe, and a holdover from the First War. By the time of the Third War (the War of the Ring) they were much less involved in the world.
8. With thanks to khyeili.tumblr.com, Ask Middle Earth, u/Shagomir, the LOTR Wiki, and the many, many other people who have written about this topic.
It’s worth noting that the user who posted the original theory, VulcanDeathGrip, freely admitted his knowledge of the books was limited, and certainly didn’t claim the theory was accurate.