10. Halle Berry in Catwoman
On the plus side: This is one of the sexiest Catwoman costumes. And it’s always nice to see a Catwoman of color.
On the minus side: Everything else. Catwoman has nothing to do with Batman — and while that’s not necessarily the worst thing, it’s just a terrible movie in its own right.
9. Eliza Dushku in Batman: Year One
On the plus side: Great, modern costume. Eliza Dushku, who kicked ass on Buffy and Dollhouse, is right for the part.
On the minus side: Frank Miller’s take on Catwoman shows her origins as a dominatrix. And while there’s nothing wrong with being a sex worker, it cheapens the character of Catwoman.
8. Nika Futterman in Batman: The Brave and the Bold
On the plus side: Fun throwback costume that gives the character a ’60s feel.
On the minus side: Catwoman just isn’t as well developed here, mostly appearing as a villain. The character works best when she’s given a little more complexity.
7. Lee Meriwether in Batman: The Movie
On the plus side: That eye makeup! Lee Meriwether was a good replacement for Julie Newmar, who wasn’t available when the 1966 Batman movie was filmed.
On the minus side: She’s still not Julie Newmar. And the movie itself is really silly, even by ’60s Batman standards.
6. Gina Gershon in The Batman
On the plus side: Gina Gershon! Amazing choice for Catwoman, as she seems like the kind of person who meows on a daily basis, anyway.
On the minus side: That costume is unforgivable. The goggles are silly, but it’s the ears that are the real problem. They’re cartoonishly large. (And yes, this is a cartoon. That doesn’t make it any better.)
5. Anne Hathaway in The Dark Knight Rises
On the plus side: Sleek, high-tech costume that Anne Hathaway wears well. The moral ambiguity fits perfectly with Christopher Nolan’s vision of Batman and the character of Catwoman.
On the minus side: She sometimes gets lost in an overstuffed film. And she’s not really all that catlike, is she?
4. Adrienne Barbeau in Batman: The Animated Series
On the plus side: This still feels like the Catwoman in many ways. She’s exactly the right blend of anti-hero and villain, and her romance with Batman/Bruce is one of the series’ most compelling threads.
On the minus side: Long blonde hair on Selina Kyle? Eh.
3. Julie Newmar in Batman
On the plus side: Sexy and super ’60s, Julie Newmar’s Catwoman is legendary. She’s as over-the-top as the other villains but somehow manages to be legitimately threatening and seductive.
On the minus side: It’s still too campy for some. And Catwoman doesn’t show all that much range.
2. Eartha Kitt in Batman
On the plus side: Eartha Kitt just edges out Julie Newmar, on account of the fact that it sounds like she’s constantly purring, which is a good quality for Catwoman to have. Again, it’s nice to have a non-white Catwoman.
On the minus side: She’s still limited by the series she’s in.
1. Michelle Pfeiffer in Batman Returns
On the plus side: We get an origin story, which develops Selina Kyle and Catwoman past what most other iterations have done. Oh, and she’s amazingly hot, with a distinct and memorable costume. No Catwoman has ever looked better.
On the minus side: No complaints here.
- The suspect wanted for killing 39 people at an Istanbul nightclub on New Years Day has been captured, Turkish media reports.
- People are arguing about whether those who are anti-abortion rights should participate in the upcoming Women's March.
- Umm. Over half of the population across 22 countries believe their system is failing and rigged, a new poll says 🌎🤔
- People are melting after a girl shared photos of her pitbull on Twitter in order to speak out against laws banning the animal.