1. You may have a considerably large age gap.
The case of the modern family — we get divorced, we find love again, we bring new life into the world. But all over a period of time.
2. And if you have a large age difference, sometimes people make the uncomfortable mistake of thinking you’re a parent to your little half-sibs.
Umm, no, not my daughter. My sister. Why must you presume?
3. You and your half-sib might look very different.
“Wait, you guys are related?”
4. You may even be different races.
“Wait, your sister is half-Japanese? And you’re blonde? I don’t get it …”
5. But you love it when people think you two really DO look alike!
You see it, right?
6. And you always feel beyond excited when people ask out of the blue, “Are you two sisters/brothers?”
WHY YESSS! Yes we are!
7. You feel beyond annoyed when explaining your family structure, and someone says, “Oh, so you’re only half-sisters.”
Only? ONLY? Well, you’re my half-friend now.
8. And then people don’t understand why you WOULDN’T just always label your sib as your HALF-SIBLING.
Because that’s not how we feel, mkay?
9. There is no word for the parent you don’t share.
My half-sister’s mom is my, uh, well she’s … um? Not my mom.
10. And if you grew up in a household with the parent of your half-sibling that you don’t share, you may still feel related to that parent.
OK, let me explain: Say you have the same father, and you live with your dad and your half-sibling’s mom (dad’s wife). You may still feel like your step-mom is your mom because you have a link to her (your wonderful half-sib!).
11. The first question people ask after finding out you’re half-siblings is, “Same mother or same father?”
::Trying to figure this out…::
12. Dealing with the fact that your half-sib might have a full-sibling. And like, does that make you something less?
Keepin’ jealousy in check since 1985.
13. You may have a very large (and perhaps complicated) family.
Definitely not a bad thing in your world.
14. Although one weird thing is that your half-sib has a whole other family outside of you.
What do you mean you’re having Christmas with your other dad?
15. If you’re the younger half-sibling, you had a moment growing up when you grasped the concept of half vs. whole siblings. And it was kind of confusing.
Because aren’t we still brother/sister? But not ALL THE WAY? What? What are you sayingggg???