back to top

This Dad Has A Warning For Other Parents After His Daughter Nearly Choked To Death

"I thought my little girl was going to die in my arms."

Posted on

This sweet little girl is 10-month-old Annabelle. She lives with her family in Cupar, Saskatchewan, and two weeks ago she came terrifyingly close to choking to death.

Justin Morrice

Annabelle's dad, Justin Morrice, had given her some Gerber Lil' Crunchies, something she'd eaten before. He turned away for 10 seconds and by the time he looked back, Annabelle was gasping for air.

"She was trying to cry but no sound was coming out," Morrice wrote in a Facebook post. "I rushed over and picked her up and turned her over and slapped her back (as we were taught) for what seemed like forever I still could not hear anything."By this point, her lips had turned blue.
Justin Morrice

"She was trying to cry but no sound was coming out," Morrice wrote in a Facebook post. "I rushed over and picked her up and turned her over and slapped her back (as we were taught) for what seemed like forever I still could not hear anything."

By this point, her lips had turned blue.

"It's at this moment I thought my little girl was going to die in my arms."

In a moment of quick thinking, he rammed a finger down her throat and was able to squish the Lil' Crunchie enough to get her some air."The next thing I heard was the sweetest sound in the world... her crying," he wrote.He was then able to get the food dislodged and out of her mouth, but he said it was the "longest and scariest minute of my life."Important note: It is recommended to not reach into a choking child's throat as it could push the obstruction further in. Watch this video from St. John's Ambulance for what to do if an infant is choking.
Justin Morrice

In a moment of quick thinking, he rammed a finger down her throat and was able to squish the Lil' Crunchie enough to get her some air.

"The next thing I heard was the sweetest sound in the world... her crying," he wrote.

He was then able to get the food dislodged and out of her mouth, but he said it was the "longest and scariest minute of my life."

Important note: It is recommended to not reach into a choking child's throat as it could push the obstruction further in. Watch this video from St. John's Ambulance for what to do if an infant is choking.

"When I got it out I started shaking, she was crying and the colour was back in her face. I started to cry. I just held her and told her over and over I'm sorry."

"When she woke up after and smiled I can't even tell you what that smile meant," he added.
Justin Morrice

"When she woke up after and smiled I can't even tell you what that smile meant," he added.

When they'd both calmed down, he took a closer look at the Lil' Crunchies container and noticed something he hadn't before.

Justin Morrice

In small text, it said to serve the snack within five days of opening. He opened a fresh container to compare and found a huge difference.

"The ones in the can she choked on I can only describe to be like a foam ear plug. I could squish it but it would expand back out and would not break apart," he wrote. "The ones in the new can crumbled with ease."
Justin Morrice

"The ones in the can she choked on I can only describe to be like a foam ear plug. I could squish it but it would expand back out and would not break apart," he wrote. "The ones in the new can crumbled with ease."

Morrice doesn't blame Gerber, but wanted to warn other parents to always read packages thoroughly. He posted his story to Facebook and it's now been shared nearly 40,000 times.

Facebook: permalink.php

Morrice hasn't had any contact with Gerber, but the company has previously released a statement noting that their snack products are intended for specific developmental stages.

While that moment would have been scary for any parent, Morrice has already been through a lot with Annabelle. She was born with Down syndrome and experienced medical complications in the first few months of her life.

"She has been through a lot already and made it through," said Morrice. "I thought I was going to lose my baby girl to a cheese puff."Thankfully she's now back to her smiling, babbling, playful self.
Justin Morrice

"She has been through a lot already and made it through," said Morrice. "I thought I was going to lose my baby girl to a cheese puff."

Thankfully she's now back to her smiling, babbling, playful self.

"I just want everyone who is a parent, knows someone who is, or is about to be one to just don't get 'lazy,'" said Morrice. "I know life is a rush most of the time. We get into routine and habit."

"My mistake almost cost me and they say 'learn from your mistakes' and I hope parents everywhere learn from mine."
Justin Morrice

"My mistake almost cost me and they say 'learn from your mistakes' and I hope parents everywhere learn from mine."

Lauren Strapagiel is a reporter for BuzzFeed News and is based in Toronto, Canada.

Contact Lauren Strapagiel at lauren.strapagiel@buzzfeed.com.

Got a confidential tip? Submit it here.