19 Apocalyptic Photos Of Storms And Supercells From Kansas And Beyond
Intrepid storm chaser Dennis Oswald has been chasing 100mph storms for nearly 15 years.
Originally from Neuss, Germany, Dennis Oswald loves the thrill of chasing enormous storms in his home country and the United States's "tornado alley".
Oswald snaps colourful and formidable storms, getting as close as he dares.
1. A mothership supercell just north of Howard, Kansas.
2. A tornadic supercell crossing the I-40 road just west of Amarillo, Texas.
The 34-year-old told Caters News: “I've been interested in weather and photography since I was a teenager. I saw people chasing storms in the US and thought 'I could do that too’.”
3. A mothership supercell approaching eastern Colorado.
4. A huge storm approaching desert Artesia, New Mexico.
"There have been a lot of unique storms over the years,” Dennis told Caters News. "One of my favourites was the Howard supercell in Kansas, which looked great with the sun setting underneath. Another time I witnessed seven tornadoes in single day near Rago in Kansas."
5. A huge supercell storm moving through northern Texas just after sunset.
6. Supercell scenery in Decatur, Texas.
7. Northern Oklahoma storm clouds.
8. A supercell storm near Henrietta, Texas.
9. A supercell storm in Kansas.
"This is an amazing supercell with setting sun underneath ... perfect structure and light on this beautiful storm in Kansas." – Dennis Oswald
10. Tornadic supercell crossing Highway 281 near Seward, Kansas.
11. Lightning in Kansas.
12. A lightning show in Hugoton, Kansas.
13. A shelfcloud from a supercell in northern Kansas at sunset.
14. Bow-echo approach just west of Jlich, Germany.
"The most dangerous storm I chased was the bow-echo storm in my hometown of Neuss. ... The wind gusts were so intense and lots of trees were damaged or completely destroyed ... It was very difficult to get in a safe place – trees were flying all over the place.” – Dennis Oswald
15. Storm scenery near Pratt, Kansas.
16. Supercell in Tipton, Oklahoma.
17. An EF3 tornado rips through a windmill farm.
"Many of the windmills were destroyed right after this photo was taken." – Dennis Oswald
18. A tornado tears through the Great Plains in Rozel, Kansas.
"I'm already planning my next adventure." – Dennis Oswald