1. Aside from the star trio of LeBron James, Chris Bosh, and Dwyane Wade, Shane Battier’s defense and corner 3s have been as essential to the Miami Heat’s dominance as anyone else.
2. But a weird thing happened during the Eastern Conference Finals against the Indiana Pacers: Battier was overwhelmed by the Pacers’ huge lineups. To the point that, last night, this happened:
3. That’s right: after six games in which he shot 12.5% and averaged 2.8 points, Battier got a DNP-CD in Game 7. :(
4. But Battier’s a team player — also, old and therefore less surprised by these sorts of things — and he figured out a new way to contribute if he couldn’t be playing.
5. “Hey, LeBron — you got a little sweat there. Little sweat on your arm. I’m going to dry your arm. Let me towel you off. Yeah. You feel better now. Go score 32 points.”
First game Shane Battier towels off LeBron James, and the Heat win by 23. Coincidence?????
Yeah. Probably a coincidence.
No, definitely a coincidence.
- Refugee families are being torn apart by British bureaucracy. Processing delays and bureaucratic barriers are separating families by thousands of miles.
- After announcing he had raised $5.6 million for veterans organizations, Donald Trump blasted reporters for asking critical questions about the money.
- In a spree of gun violence across Chicago, at least 68 people were injured — six of whom died — by Monday night of Memorial Day weekend.