1. The US women’s water polo team faced Australia today in a semifinal match. Whoever won would go on to face China for the gold medal.
2. With only seconds left, the US led 9-8 and Australia is attacking. A last-gasp shot hits the crossbar, though, and the American keeper knocks it safely away.
3. With one second left, US coach Adam Krikorian calls a timeout.
4. BUT: the US didn’t have possession when Krikorian called the timeout. It appears that an Australian player had her hand on the ball.
5. At first, it doesn’t appear that anything was wrong; the players line up as usual.
6. Eventually, Krikorian starts to complain that play hadn’t started yet.
7. Yet it doesn’t seem to be an issue, because the ref walks by Krikorian and talks to him, and he immediately starts directing his players again.
8. This is where it gets weird. It looks like play is about to resume—
9. —until another ref, conferring with three officials on the side, awards a penalty shot to Australia because of Krikorian’s illegal timeout.
10. Krikorian is not happy.
11. And the Australian team converts the penalty, pushing the match into overtime.
12. Fortunately, the US pulls it out in the end — and you can see the utter relief on Krikorian’s face.
- Top legal scholars will be filing the 1st major lawsuit against President Donald Trump's alleged business conflicts on Monday.
- "Welcome to the movement": Women's March on Washington organizers are working tirelessly to make sure first-time marchers stick around ✊
- A mass grave in Mexico contained the remains of 56 people, many of whom went missing in 2010, authorities said Sunday.
- The New England Patriots are heading to the Super Bowl yet again. They'll play the Atlanta Falcons on Feb. 5 🏈