4. And he closed out the first month of a great 2012 by throwing an alley-oop to himself in a loss to the Houston Rockets. Note: this is not OK to do in a game. At all.
In February, the Wizards established themselves firmly as one of the league’s worst teams — JaVale was a starter every night — and JaVale charted two of his greatest plays of all time.
6. FIRST: He goaltended a shot. OK, that happens. But he didn’t just, like, tip it away from the hoop — he catapulted the ball into the stands. Really, really far.
7. SECOND: After missing a hook shot, JaVale just assumed that the Raptors rebounded the ball, and so he sprinted back on defense — even though Washington still had possession. John Wall was very, very confused.
8. MARCH: TRAAAAAAAAAAAAADE
March was a pivotal month in the year of JaVale. The Wizards traded him to the Denver Nuggets for Nene, meaning that, for the first time in his career, JaVale would actually play for a good team.
11. So, what kind of start did JaVale’s Nuggets career get off to? You guessed it: he… scored a game-winning dunk?
April was a dark month, because it was the month we learned that JaVale sold his Segway to Wizards teammate Kevin Seraphin after he got traded.
14. On a brighter note, we learn from a Sports Illustrated profile that JaVale calls his off-the-backboard self-oop the “Super Hi-Fi Superphonic Supersonic Ultra Intercontinental Bring It Around the World Throw It Off the Back Dunk,” which is pretty cool.
Thanks, SI! You really can’t watch this too many times.
16. MAY: In May, JaVale made the first playoff appearances of his career against the Los Angeles Lakers, quickly drawing eyes with plays like this.
17. He had a fantastic performance in Game 5, and his 21 points and 14 rebounds helped the Nuggets take L.A. to seven games. They also led to this legendary moment.
Unfortunately, JaVale would go only 2-12 in the Nuggets’ last two playoff games, at which point they were eliminated by the Lakers.
In June, July, and August, JaVale mostly kept off the radar, which made sense, considering that the NBA was off until the fall. However, there were three major developments in the world of JaVale that are more than worth mentioning.
22. FIRST DEVELOPMENT: JaVale reminded us that, on Twitter, he is not JaVale; he is Pierre.
24. SECOND DEVELOPMENT: JaVale started only retweeting other people, with no tweets of his own, sometime in June.
25. (For example:)
27. THIRD DEVELOPMENT: In July, JaVale started only tweeting in the form of retweets of himself.
28. For example:
JaVale hasn’t actually tweeted Merry Christmas before only to retweet it now. He’s just writing his new tweets in the form of retweets. Why? Who knows!
Of course, this is a JaVale retweet of someone else retweeting him retweeting himself, because he deletes all of his own tweets. Hero.
30. So yeah, JaVale McGee is Weird Twitter.
31. SEPTEMBER: JAVALE GOT ANOTHER SEGWAY!!!
36. THIS SEASON:
JaVale’s been pretty good so far during the 2012-13 season: he’s posting the best true shooting percentage, blocks- and points-per-game numbers of his career. But for concision’s sake, we’ll sum up his performance to date in three simple GIFs.
37. In true JaVale fashion, there’s the Good
38. The Bad
(Yes, that goes over the backboard.)
40. It’s been a wonderful year in JaVale. Let’s hope 2013 is just as good.
41. With JaVale around, blessings so abundant EVERY DAY.
- Former prime minister Tony Blair says there are elements of the Brexit debate "happening the world over."
- Uber documents provided to BuzzFeed News suggest that price cuts don't always raise driver wages 🚗💸
- U.S Department of Defense is expected to end its ban on transgender military service in July.